2/17/2001

Should music just exist on the score?
It's Arts Festival and here's another blog about music...

I have just attended another enjoyable concert tonight - the Emerson Quartet. Programs are all new to me. As usual, we have a chit-chat session right after.

One of the buddy thought they are not in shape tonight, with inaccurate pitch, rushing up of candenza point... he carries on mentioning a couple more musical terms.

I have a question in mind - what is us as an audience are expecting in a performance? Umm... If everything could simply interpretted as what's on the score or maybe I should rephrase as - if the performance is not playing as "it should", should it really be poorly rated?

My thought - I can't read score and know nothing about what the hell those 'candenza counter point' mean but I can experience the strong cohesion, the highly harmonized performance and the fluidity of the music, which I myself as an ametur cellist, know that it is not easy to accomplish. I appreciate that a lot, thank you.

And the most important of all, I am a simple, happy audience. HA!

No comments: